Saturday, May 1, 2010

Day 3: Russia

Did I really go to Russia? It seems so long ago. And I've kind of pushed it far from my mind. Just kidding. It wasn't that bad.

I'll start this out the day before when we're waiting in line to check in at the airport.

So we're waiting in line to check in at the airport... and all the workers are at their stations ready to check us in. Except, they're not checking us in. There are literally over a hundred people waiting in line and they're just sitting there, staring at us.
Thank you Aeroflot.

They're not even giving us tags to put on our luggage so people know it's ours. Observe:

Mom: "Can I have a luggage tag please?"
Lady: "YOU HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL WE OPEN!!!!!!!!"


Yeah. We waited about 1.5 hours for them to open because our flight was 1.5 hours late and they wouldn't open more than 3 hours prior to take off. Or something like that.

Fast forward.

We get off the plane. Exhausted. I slept about one hour. Good thing I had "Whip It" "A Beautiful Mind" and "He's Just Not That Into You" to keep me from losing my mind. We get on the

ONE SECOND: GRANDMA JUST CAME IN AND ASKED ME IF I WANTED A PIECE OF FUDGE. YES, PLEASE. A PIECE OF AMERICA.

air train and head on our way to M O S C O W. Along the way, people spoke to me in Russian and I was able to play it off so that they didn't know I had absolutely no idea what they were saying.

ONE SECOND: "NOTHING ON YOU" IS PLAYING OUTSIDE MY WINDOW. WHAAA? AM I STILL IN KATHMANDU?

We were under the impression that at the end of our ride on the air train we'd be at Red Square. When we found out we were not in fact in Red Square, we were under the impression that we could find someone who spoke English or at least someone nice enough to try.

Lesson #1: Learn Russian before going to Russia. Or carry around a Russian dictionary.

Kam asked some police dudes and all they did was slowly shake their heads. HAHAHAH.

We made our way to the subway (only God knows how) and plotted how to get to this thing that looked like a square. BUT GUESSS WHAT! THAT THING ON THE SUBWAY MAP THAT IS SHAPED LIKE A SQUARE IS NOT RED SQUARE.

I'll shorten this because it's getting a little long and without pictures, who will have the patience to read this? It's like... who would read A Tale of Two Cities rather than There's A Monster at the End of This Book. Just kidding. Be mature, geez.

We made it to Red Square with the help of Max max, Max, and Niquita (sp?) and some quiet little lady who spoke absolutely no English. It snowed, but it was cool. Then we made it back to the airport. How? Skill. and luck.

On to INDIA.

No comments:

Post a Comment