Sunday, May 2, 2010

Day 5: India (Agra - Taj Mahal)

We woke up very early (it didn't even feel early though because the time here moves sooo slowly) and headed off to the Taj Mahal. YEEEAHHHH.
THE. TAJ. MAHAL.
It was possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life. We were able to see it at sunrise, and you should have seen how incredibly beautiful it was.

No, I didn't take this picture. I'm just sick of my blog looking bland. I googled this.

The Taj Mahal is all about love. Shah Jahan built it for his favorite wife after she died in child birth of her fourteenth child (or according to Slumdog Millionaire, a tragic car accident). Shah Jahan asked her what he could do to show her that he loved her more than anything in the world. I can't remember what she said... but this is the result. It took 22 YEARS to complete. I love Shah Jahan because he was so awesome. He even built a mosque on the side for his workers, and in order to keep the perfect symmetry (I'm not kidding it's freakin perfect) he built a similar building on the other side.

I could go on and on about how much I LOVE the Taj Mahal. Inside are the tombs of Mumtaz Mahal and Shah Jahan. It's a huge symbol of love. One of Shah Jahan's sons imprisoned him and killed his brothers so that he could take the throne, and all that Shah Jahan wanted was to be somewhere where he could see the Taj. The colors inside are not paint. They are stones.

GOOGLED again. SO AWESOME.

Anyways, we went back to the hotel, swam, packed, went to the shop where the descendants of the artisans that did the inlay work in the Taj Mahal are still doing the same art (AMAZINGGG) and headed off for Jaipur.

I just read what I wrote and it really has no flow haha. WHATEV.

No comments:

Post a Comment