Monday, May 3, 2010

maoist strike

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit scared. 'Cause I am. A little bit.
We were in playing cards and eating lunch, pretending like everything is fantastic, listening to the t h u n d e r roll on and on, with no breaks in between, when we heard chanting.

From the roof we could see people walking in the street carrying red flags. Maoists. This street is possibly one of the busiest streets in Kathmandu, but we haven't seen a car driving on it for a couple of days. Only ambulances and the occasional motorcycle. It's kind of weird to hear so much silence, when honking is a huge part of driving here. I guess I'm not really allowed outside anymore. I get too many looks. EVERYONE looks at me. They look at me, then at my feet, then back at me. I don't blend in too well in the United States, it's no surprise I really don't blend here. They either smile, or ya know, the other thing. I'm glad I rarely get the latter.

I wish I could see a solution for this country. I've been studying the situation and listening to opinions. I have no idea what is going to happen. If violence starts, Kam noted that,
"We'll be right in the middle of a civil war."

How crazy would that be?

It's kind of hard for me to grasp what's happening because I never in my life imagined I would experience something like this. It doesn't affect me like it affects the Nepalis, but I still feel like I'm partly affected. Wow, the yelling is getting louder.

Anyways, I don't really have much to write.
God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment